BADIL Resource Center for Palestinian Residency and Refugee Rights
Vacancy Announcement and Call for Applications
BADIL Resource Center for Palestinian Residency and Refugee Rights is a Palestinian human rights organization established in 1998 and based in Bethlehem. BADIL is dedicated to defending and promoting the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people in general and the rights of the displaced in particular. BADIL utilizes a rigorous rights and evidence based legal analysis established within the frameworks of international humanitarian, human rights and refugee law to further advance Palestinian rights.
Position: International and Legal Advocacy Officer
Location: Bethlehem, Palestine
Main Responsibilities, qualifications, experience and requirements are available at www.badil.org
Deadline for applications: 5 June 2023, by 16:00 pm and sent via email to [email protected]
Application must include: CV/Resume, Letter of interest/personal statement in English, a sample of applicant’s research and/or advocacy work and 2 references. Only complete applications will be considered by the selection committee. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by BADIL.
Responsible to: Advocacy Manager
Main Purpose: The management of work flow related to the implementation of the advocacy program priorities of BADIL. This position coordinates and implements the organization's legal and international advocacy initiatives, international mobilization, outreach and coordination, including internal management of BADIL’s International Mobilization Course.
- Provide assistance and support in initiating, developing and implementing BADIL’s legal and international advocacy action plan.
- Identify, produce and implement BADIL’s legal advocacy interventions with the UNHRC and other UN bodies and forums. This includes the preparation of written and oral statements to the UNHRC, shadow reports and other written submissions to Treaty Bodies and Special Procedures, and written submissions and follow-up with the ICC investigation.
- Serve as a legal resource person for BADIL, in particular being responsible for responding to written information requests made to BADIL.
- Outreach, management and coordination of the International Mobilization Course.
- Coordinate, liaise and communicate with international advocacy and mobilization partners.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in international law and human rights (academic coursework in international human rights and humanitarian law); additional Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of two years of relevant work experience in human rights monitoring, research and/or advocacy;
- Excellent research and analytical skills;
- Excellent English speaking, writing and editing skills: ability to write clear, concise and well-structured reports and other publications on human rights issues in English;
- Strong interest and sound understanding of current international affairs; good understanding of international policies towards Palestine and the Arab Region in general;
- Knowledge of the Question of Palestine and an understanding of local and regional politics;
- Working knowledge of Arabic preferred but not required;
- Strong commitment to human rights and social justice principles;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good organizational skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team; and,
- Ability to work in an intercultural environment.
For international applicants: BADIL does not facilitate visa applications. Interested candidates either must have a valid visa or are able to obtain one.
Preference shall be given to candidates that are Arabic natives and/or female candidates with equal or higher qualifications.